Yangon had expanded outwards since independence. Successive governments have built satellite town such as Thaketa , North Okkalapa and South Okkalapa in the 1950s to Hlaingthaya , Shwepyitha and South Dagon in the 1980s. The present day Yangon covers an area of 600 square kilometers with a population of over 7 millions. Yangon is the most ethnically diverse city in the country. While Indians formed the slight majority prior to Second World War , today the majority of the population is of indigenous Bamar descent. Large communities of Indians , Chinese , Burmese exist in the traditional downtown neighborhoods. A large number of Rakhine and Karen also live in the city. The Shwedagon Pagoda is the most famous landmark of Yangon. A visit to the union of Myanmar is not complete without visiting the 2500-years-old Shwedagon Pagoda as it is a repository of the best in Myanmar heritage- architecture , sculpture and arts.
The legend says that long ago , the place Bago stands today was completely submerged in the water. One day , at a low tikde , a small patch of land appeared above the sea. It was very tiny islet and there was not enough space for two birds to land down. The male Hintha ( Brahminy ) bird landed first and the female bird perched on her male’s back. Believe it or not , it’s said that anyone who marries a Bago lady is sure to be hen-pecked. Thus , the statue of a couple Hintha birds seated one upon is a symbol of Bago.
According to the Mon chronicle two princes Thamala and Wimala from Thahton ( Suwannabumi ) established a new city in Bago in 825 AD. At that time it was known as Ussa & after ruling by 17 kings , Thamala Dynasty came to an end under Bagan Empire in 1057AD.
After falling down of Bagan , King Banya-Oo , a descendant of Wareru Dynasty , moved his capital from Moktama to Bago and founded the first Hamthawaddy Kingdom in 1369 AD. 11 Kings ruled in Hamthawaddy including King Rajadarit , Queen Shin Saw Pu , and so on.
During the reign of Thushintakarupi , the last king of Hamthawaddy Kingdom, King Tabinshwehti of Taungoo conquered to Bago in 1536 AD. After King Tabinshwehti’s death , King Bayint Naung ascended the throne in 1551 and built Kambawzathadi Palace of Hamthawaddy as Second Myanmar Empire.
Normally , the Shwemawdaw Pagoda and the Shwethalyaung Reclining Buddha Image constitute the chief tourist attractions of Bago. Shwemawdaw is one of the largest and highest Pagodas in the country and almost as famous as the great Shwedagon in Yangon. After paying homage to Shwemawdaw Pagoda , another religious place one should visit is Shwethalyaung Reclining Image. It has 188 ft in length and 52 ft in height. The latest addition to Bago’s tourist attractions is the “ Kambawzathadi Palace “ , that was built by King Bayint Naung , the founder of second Myanmar Empire. The meaning of “ Kambawzathadi “ is peaceful and pleasure.
Bago city is popular for cheroots industries and different brands of Cheroots are produced. Other products are rice , salty dry fish , tobacco , rubber , plywood and handicrafts. One of famous traditional food is fermented glutinous rice with fish.
In conclusion , Bago was once the important place for successive kings according to geographical site of Myanmar. One can’t deny that Bago is one of the most popular tourist destinations for not only ancient monument but also the ways of life of the local people.
Although once part of the Mon Kingdom , Pathein has few ethnic Mon residents today. The majority are Bamar , Burmese Indians , Karen ethnicity.
Centuries ago Pathein was known as Cosmin. Ralph Fitch , the first recorded British traveler who visited Myanmar between 1586 and 1588 called it Cosmin. Some authorities argued this word “ Cosmin “ was a corruption of two Mon words “ Kaw “ and “ thamein “. The word “ Kaw “signifies an island and “ thamein “ as a prince.
The origin of the Delta town of Bassein has much to do with the growth of Portuguese imperialism. The Starting point was 1498 , the year Vasco Da Gama discovered the sea route to the East. From then on Portuguese shops began to enter the Pacific Ocean through the straits of Malacca. Within a short time , Portugal became an imperial power. This was the beginning of the encounter between Europe and Asia.
The area are full of rice fields with crops such as sesames , groundnuts , maize , tobacco & chilies. Parasol production is synonymous with Pathein.
Thanlyin first came to prominence in the 15th century as the main port city of the Hanthawaddy Kingdom , replacing a silted up Bago port. In 1539, the city became part of the Kingdom of Taunggoo. In 1599, the city fell to the Rakhine forces led by the Portuguese mercenary Filipe de Brito e Nicote , who was made governor of the city. De Brito declared independence from his nominal Rakhine masters in 1603, defeated the invading Rakhine navy in 1604 and 1605, and successfully established Portuguese rule over Syriam or Sirião -as it was called back then- under the Portuguese viceroy of Goa. In 1613, Burmese king Anauk Petlun recaptured the city, and executed Brito by impalement , a punishment reserved for defilers of Buddhist temples.
Main highlights in Thanlyin and around are Thanlyin Kyiak Kauk Pagoda and Yele Kyauktan Pagoda that is located at middle part of river.
Visiting to Dala that is a small town located at the opposite site of Yangon and the south of Yangon River is worthwhile trip.
It is said to derive from Mot-Mua-Lum, meaning "one eye destroyed". According to legend, a Mon king had a powerful third eye in the centre of his forehead, able to see what was happening in neighbouring kingdoms. The daughter of one of the neighbouring kings was given in marriage to the three-eyed king and managed to destroy the third eye. The Burmese name "Mawlamyine" is believed to be a corruption of the Mon name.
Mawlamyine is first capital of British Burma in 1824. The town's signature landmark is Kyaikthanlan pagoda built in 875 AD and thought to be the site from where Rudyard Kipling wrote his famous poem, 'The Road to Mandalay'.
The Thanlwin bridge, the longest road and railway bridge in Myanmar is the most prominent landmark in the area. It stretches a distance of 11,000 feet over the Thanlwin River connecting the country's south eastern region with Yangon.
Mawlamyine is generally considered to be off the main tourist trail for most travellers to Myanmar but the town does have a charm of its own with its rich history, buildings with colonial style architecture, World War II era wooden buses, and its close proximity to the infamous Siam-Burma "death railway", making it a fascinating place to visit!
the people are friendly and the city is the logical base from which to explore the Buddhist caves, sacred mountains and rivers and lakes of the surrounding countryside with Karen typical villages and rice fields. It is opened its door to the foreigners in 2005 which becomes the new travel destinations of the east. It is notable to reach there by road from Yangon crossing over the Thanlwin River Bridge.
Tourist interested sites in Hpa An are Morning Market , Myo Mya Zay Gyi , Sadan Cave , Kyauk Ka lat Pagoda , Mt.Zwegabin , Kawgun Cave , Bayin Nyi Naung Cave , Yathaypyan Cave , Shwe Yin Myaw Pagoda & Kyone Htaw Waterfall.
Overnight at Hpa An & Exploring around city and several caves are worth to do when you are in Myanmar.
The Pagoda was built more than 2500 years ago. Legend has it that the Pagoda was built on a Hair relic that was given to a hermit by Buddha Himself. The hermit treasured the sacred Hair in his hair knot until he found a boulder resembling his own head on which he could build a pagoda to enshrine it.
In the Mon language “Kyaik” means “pagoda” and “Yo” means “to carry on the head” “Ithi” in Pali means “hermit”. Thus the name “Kyaiktiyo” derived from “Kyaik-Thi-Yo” , “ the pagoda carried on a hermit’s head”.
It can also be qualified as one of the wonders of the world by virtue of the fact that it sits uniquely at the apex of a huge, almost egg shaped granitic boulder. This boulder (now completely gilded) is precariously perched on a projecting tabular rock. The gilded boulder and the rock table are two separate pieces, the boulder actually balancing off the extreme verge of the sloping surface of the rock and overhanging it by nearly half its length.
It is now well known as Miracle Golden Rock, which is the biggest pilgrimage site in Myanmar. An endless stream of pilgrims comes annually to admire the sight and to pay homage, and to apply gold leaves on its surface. The Golden Rock is a truly extraordinary natural feature visited by more than 1 million pilgrims the whole year round.
The official name of the city was “ Yadanarbon Naypyidaw “ which means treasure-heap capital. But, the people simply called it Mandalay as it lies near Mandalay Hill. The name may have derived from the Pali word “ Mandalar “ which means abroad , flat plain or the Sanskrit word meaning circle or representation of the universe. The construction of the city was completed in 1859. King Mindon shifted his palace from nearby Amarapura city in 1861. The palace formed a perfect square shape and rounded by the four side of the strong wall and the moat. The walls are 2 kilometer long. The city Mandalay was very short-lived. On November 29 , 1885 , the country and Upper Myanmar , Mandalay was annexed into British Empire , during the reign of King Thibaw , the last king of Myanmar. The southern and middle parts of the country has been occupied earlier after the first and second Anglo-Myanmar wars respectively. Having been the capital of the last two Myanmar Kings , Mandalay has remained to this day the center of Myanmar culture and traditional arts and crafts. It’s also the only place where the Buddhism shines brightest with a large number of pagodas and monasteries. About the 60% of the total monks population of Myanmar live in Mandalay area. One’s pursuit of Buddhist studies is considered incomplete until and unless one has studied in Mandalay. A lot of Myanmar arts and crafts such as sculpting images of the Buddha , making very thin gold leafs and the weaving of silk and cotton are still centered in Mandalay. Mandalay had also produced great dancers , song-writers , singers and writer and traditional musicians. The artist from Mandalay are the best in the country. Their craftsmanship is very nice and delicate. Mandalay is accessible and linked by air , rail , road and river with Yangon and other principle towns of Myanmar. Mandalay lies in the center of the country and surrounded by former capitals of Innwa , Sagaing , Amarapura , One can make a lot of short trips to historical and other interesting sites. It’s been transformed from a medium-sized , sleepy city into a booming city. But, it still maintains much of it’s Myanmarness. To visit Mandalay is to touch the heart of Myanmar and to experience its quintessence.
It is located about 21 Km south of Mandalay and on the way from the Mandalay to International Airport near Sagaing City. It is surrounded by Ayeyerwaddy River in the north and Myitnge River in the east. It is popular day-trip tourist destination from Mandalay.
It’s an ancient capital of successive Burmese Kingdoms from 14th century to 19th century. It was officially founded in 1364 by King Thadominbya on a man-made island created by connecting by Ayeyerwaddy and Myitnge Rivers. The construction of the artificial island involved filling in the swamp-lands and lakes. The kingdom with the capital founded by King Thadominbya at Innwa became known as Awa Kingdom.
It came under siege in 1404-1405 during the Forty Years’ Civil War ( Mon-Bamar War of 1384 to 1424 ). In 1527 , the city finally fell to the repeated attacks by the confederation of Shan State and Prome (Pyay) kingdom. It then became the capital of the unruly coalition until 1555 when it was captured by King Bayint Naung of Hanthawaddy. The city came to an end for 190 years. In 1599 , King Nyaungyan restored the kingdom which had temporarily been disintegrated and King Thalun also moved the capital back to Innwa from Bago ( Pegu ) in 1365 as Nyaungyan dynasty. The dynasty lasted for about 152 years from 1599 to 1751. But , the city was sacked again in 1752 , and subsequently burned down in 1753 by the forces of Restored Hanthawaddy kingdom. King Hsinbyshin began the reconstruction of the city in 1764 and moved the capital from Shwebo to a newly built Innwa as Konbaung dynasty , the last dynasty of Burma. King Bodawpaya , one of the Kings from Konbaung dynasty moved the capital of Amarapura in 1783 but his successor , king Bagyidaw moved it back to Innwa for the last time.
Finally , the capital was abandoned after it was completely destroyed by a series of major earthquakes in 1838. It lasted as the seat of powerful capital for over 400 years. It , therefore , has a lot of historical monuments and Pagodas , some of which are already in ruins. Currently , the most popular tourist attraction sites of the city include Bagaya monastery with splendid Myanmar architecture , The Maha Aung Myae Bon Zan or Me’ Nu Oak-Kyaung ( Brick Monastery ) and the Watch Tower which is about 30m high. The massive fort walls and moat of the splendor of the past can still be seen. Visiting with horse-drawn carts and countryside landscapes would be your fantastic and enjoyable sightseeing.
It is the former capital of Burma , and now a township of Mandalay. It’s 11 Km south of Mandalay and famous for its traditional silk and cotton weaving and bronze casting. It’s a popular tourist destination from Mandalay.
Amarapura was the capital of Burma twice during the Konbaung Dynasty. The city was founded by king Bodawpaya as his new capital in 1783. The new capital became a center of Buddhist reforms and learning. King Bodawpaya died in 1819 and his grandson , King Bagyidaw shifted the capital back to Innwa ( Ava ) in 1821. But the palace was moved back to Amarapura for the second time in 1842 during the reign of King Tharawaddy. In 1857 , King Mindon of Amarapura moved the capital from Amarapura to Mandalay , accepting the title of “ The founder of the new city and the builder of the new palace “. The palace buildings & city walls were dismantled and moved to the new location.
The old city of Amararpura have already ruined. Although there are little remains of the old palace , one can still see two masonry building- the treasure building , the old watch tower , the tombs in which the dead bodies of King Bodawpaya and King Bagyidaw were buried. Amarapura is a spread-out suburb of Mandalay and one of famous places around Mandalay. Its tourist attraction sites are : U Bein Wooden Bridge with a length of 1.2 Km , Mahagandayon Monastery where over 1000 monks are residing and studying Buddhism , and Pahtodawgyi pagoda ( White-washed stupa ) built by king Bagyidaw. For the enthusiasts in traditional silk and cotton weaving , there are many weaving cottage industries that produce the best of occasional attire and dress.
Sagaing is the capital of Sagaing region in Myanmar. It’s located on the western bank of Ayeyarwaddy River and 20 Km southwest of Mandalay. It’s famous as an important religious and monastic center , possessing the breathtaking panorama of pagodas scattered on the numerous hills along the ridge running parallel to the river.
Sagaing was once the capital of small kingdom that ruled a part of central Burma from 1315 to 1364. It was founded by king Athinkhayar Saw Yun of Burmanized Shan king and one of the many petty kingdoms that emerged after the fall of the Bagan Empire in 1287. Altogether 9 kings ruled the kingdom for 49 years and the kingdom collapsed in 1364 after it was sacked by Shan raiders from Mogaung , northern part of Burma. After that , Sagaing briefly the royal capital again for the last time for 2 years during the reign of King Naung Daw Gyi ( 1760-1765 ). The most rewarding thing one can do in the city is to climb the hill on foot or by car. It will make one relaxed and feel peaceful and quiet because of the temperate climate of the effect of the hill. On the hill top , One can visit Soon U Pon Nya Shin pagoda that the Buddha’s hair relics are enshrined and U Min Thone Ze Pagoda , probably the most finest and beautiful one overtaking the river view. After climbing down the hill , one can continue to the city center to the Kaung Mu Daw Pagoda built by King Tharlon in 1636. And for those who like shopping , there are a lot of silverware industries at Ywahtaung Village. And other highlights , such as Yadanar Zedi , Sinmya-shin Pagoda , Tilawkaguru Cave monastery , pottery village , Asaykhan fort are also interesting places of the city.
It is located on the western bank of the Ayeyarwaddy river and 11 Km up the river from Mandalay. One can get there by ferry boats across the river and it’ll take one hour for upstream. And there is a motor way that cross the river by the bridge. It will also take one hour from Mandalay via Sagaing.
According to historical records , in late 1790 , King Bodawpaya left his capital Amarapura , which he founded , and took up his temporary royal residence on the Nan Taw Kyun island in the river facing Mingun village. During the king’s stay on the island , he intend to set and counstruct prominent big four-a huge stupa , a big lake , a pair of big guardian lions and big bell- in Mingun. In 1791 , the king started the construction of huge stupa , also known as Pathodawgyi. But, nearly one-third of the stupa was finished with measurement of 50 m in height and the square bast of 135 m. If the king’s dream came true , the great stupa would have had a height of 160 m. The king has a thousand of prisoners of war working on the construction of the stupa , and the king personally supervised the building of the stupa for 15 years. But, While the stupa was being built , there appeared a prophecy ( Tabaung ) that predicted “ the fall of the kingdom under the completion of the great stupa “. Thus , construction was slowed down to prevent prophecy’s realization and when the king died , the project was completely stopped. The stupa have been partly damaged by the severe earthquake of 1838. Just a few minutes of walking , from the great stupa lies a gigantic Mingun bell cast to go with great stupa. It was cast on the Nan Taw Kyun island in 1808 and transported to the present site near the great stupa. It have a height of 3.9 m and the diameter of the mouth was 5 m , weighing about 90 tons.
Furthermore , there is an imposing pagoda , known as Hsinbyume , that will make all visitors wonder after seeing its distinctive architectural style. It was built by king Bagyidaw in 1816 as a memorial to his wife. And depending on visitor’s desire , the Mingun Home for the Elderly and visiting inside the village are also interesting.
The town has various names ; the tower of terrace city , the city of flowers , the city of the hill station , May Myo and Pyin Oo Lwin. Today it is famous for damson , coffee , pine trees , orchid , cherry , aster , strawberry , sunflowers and colorful flowers.
Main Highlights are National Kandawgyi Gardens , Pyi Chit Pagoda ( Maha Ant Htoo Kan Thar Pagoda ) , Maha Nanda Wun Cave ( former Peik Chin Myaung ) , B.E Waterfall , Dattawgyaik Waterfall & old colonial buildings.
As Monywa is a major trade center for agricultural produce from surrounding Chindwin valley , it produces especially beans , pulses and palm sugar , cotton. Monywa is one of the hottest places in Myanmar in April and May , when it gets 40 Degree are not uncommon.
Some highlights around Monywa are Hpo Win Hill & Caves and Shwe Ba Hill that is situated in the western bank of Chindwin River , Thanbuddhay Pagoda , Bawditataung , Shwe Tha Lyaung ( Reclining Buddha ) & Lay Kyun Set Kyar Standing Buddha.
Mogok is famous for its surrounding natural beauty , and for its brilliant rubies and sapphires. At 1170 meters above sea level , the mountain basin surrounding “ Rubyland “ enjoys a fairly temperate climate. Tourist needs permit to enter and explore at Mogok and its area.
It’s 207 Km ( 129 miles ) far from Mandalay & it takes more than 6 hours by mountainous road along Pyin Oo Lwin that is famous hill station. The mountain ranges of Mogok are a part of the great Shan plateau but the town itself is in Mandalay Division. The residents are mostly Lisus and Shans who make their living by mining and cutting , polishing and marketing gemstones.
The most famous gems markets are running in the morning and evening about 3 hrs each. The famous Bernard’s gems market is running once in a 5 every day. When you visit to Bernard’s gems market, you can continue to see the 120 years old British mausoleum and old cache which line at YWA THAYA village. Local people called gem market “ Htar Pwe “.
Trip to Mogok is not only just for discovering World famous Ruby but also natural environ of region.
The Popa Taungkalat shrine is the favoured home of 37 Nats. “ Popa “ means “ Flower “ in Sanskrit & Mt.Popa means Mt.Flower. As it’s the main center of Nat Worship , Mt.Popa hosts two huge Nat festivals yearly , one beginning on the full moon of Nayun ( May / June ) and another on the full moon of Nadaw ( November / December ). Before King Anawrahta’s time , thousand animals were sacrificed to the Nats during these festivals , but this practice has been prohibited since the Bagan era.
Climbing up by 777 steps to the summit of Taungkalat gives you great pleasure and panoramic view of Mt.Popa surrounding area. When you are in Bagan , Mt.Popa is worth to visit for a while.
Famous Shin Ma Taung Thanakha comes from nearby Pakokku. According to the oral history of the natives of Yesagyo and Pakhan, legend has it that during travels of Bagan King AlaungSithu on his royal barge he came to the Taung Ni hill, a little distant from Pakhan-gyi town, and his queen spilled Thanakha paste from her make-up box. To this day the Thanakha tree, grown in the areas around Taung Ni and Shin Ma Taung hills, is more blessed with the sweet aroma than those grown in other parts of the country.
With over 300,000 population , Pakokku is the biggest city in the western part of Ayeyerwaddy River. Main highlights in Pakokku are Shwegugyi Pagoda & Thihoshin Pagoda that Pagoda festival is celebrated annually at Nayon ( May / June ).
Mainly famous for its limestone caves called Pindaya Caves ( Shwe Oo Min Pagoda Cave ) where eight thousands of Buddha images have been consecrated for worship over the centuries, it is also one of the towns that host an itinerant market every fifth day.
The ancient caves are about one mile southwest of the town and The caves are supposed to be 200.00 million years old and since ancient times they have been places of worship and veneration with 8.094 Buddha images made from various materials like teak wood , marble , alabaster , brick , cement and lacquer and all enshrined in the nooks and corners of the winding caverns. At the entrance to the main cave there is a pagoda 50 feet in height. This pagoda is called Shwe U-min Hpaya or the Golden Cave pagoda. The Cave named by this entrance papoda.
Beginning on the full moon of Tabaung ( February / March ) , Pindaya hosts a colorful Pagoda festival on Shwe Oo Min. Visiting to Pindaya cave and study the ways of life of Da Nu , Pa-Oo people along the way is very interesting and impressive with beautiful landscapes.
One of the few destinations in Myanmar that genuinely caters for backpackers, rather than tour groups, Kalaw is an easy place to kick back for a few days. The town is also notable for its significant population of Nepali Gurkhas and Indians, whose ancestors came here to build the roads and railway during the colonial era.
Kalaw stands high on the western edge of the Shan Plateau. It is 70 km west of Taunggyi , about halfway along the Thazi-Taungyi road. This was a popular hill station in the British days and it is still a peaceful and quiet place. At an altitude of 1320 m it is also pleasantly cool and a good place for hiking amid gnarled pines , bamboo groves and rugged mountain scene.
Kalaw is one of the best spot to start famous trekking in Shan State.
Once a year, to coincide with the Tazaungmone (November) full-moon festival, the famous hot air balloon festival is held in Taunggyi. Tens of thousands of people come from all over Myanmar to watch, as they do on Inle lake. The Thadingyut and Tazaungmone full-moon festivals are held throughout South East Asia in honour of Lord Buddha and commemorate his return form Tarwateintha heaven, when he was accompanied by a large number of heavenly beings who lit the way for him. The festivals of light, symbolizing these heavenly lights, reach their climax with the long night of the candies at the Tazaungmon full moon, when the monks are given new robes and provisions.
Taunggyi is biggest city in the eastern part of Myanmar with population of over 380,665.
The legend says that the first stupas were created by King Alaungsithu. the 12th century King of Bagan. The decorative sculptures and figures are 17th or 18th century but some of the structures are clearly much older.
Kakku Pagoda Festival is usually held in the March ( full moon day of Tabaung ).
Myanmar owing to its natural environmental diversity is rich in many sites that feature untouched coastal areas , calm and peaceful ocean waters and wide stretches of unpolluted sandy beaches.
While listening to the whispering of the wind in the trees and among the palm fronds and to the regular sleep inducing beat of the ocean breakers as you relax in your rattan chair amidst the balmy breezes you will find yourself visibly relaxing and your cares and tensions slipping away.
Those who wish to engage in play activities on the beach may wish to take a dip in the ocean and ride the ocean waves or take a traditional bullock cart ride along the extensive stretches of the sandy beach.
Others may prefer to stroll along the seashore and visit nearby villages to sample the local cuisine and buy trinkets and ornaments fashioned from sea shells , cowries , mother of pearl , huge rock-shrimp and crabs , fossilized marine flora and unusual coral formations etc , to take back as souvenirs or presents upon their departure.
There are 15 top class hotels in Chaung Thar to cater to their every need. Some of the well-known ones are Max Hotel , Lai Lai Hotel , Ambo Hotel and Khine Chaung Thar. Those who find the atmosphere of cities stifling , the pressures of work stressful and the responsibilities of modern life becoming burdensome may shed their manifold worries for a while by visiting and enjoying a restful holiday interlude at Chaung Thar Beach.
Ngwe Saung’s natural attractions are its blue waters , its extensive beaches , its silvery sands , its scenic and occasionally rocky shoreline , all set against a backdrop of tropical rain forests and the towering Rakhine mountain range.
These bungalows provide quality service to foreign tourists and domestic visitors and provide a quiet haven of peace and relaxation. For those wishing to engage in fun and games on the beach or in the ocean , life-buoys and speedboats are provided as well as facilities for speedboat trips , bicycling along the shore and horseback riding.
Ngwe Saung Beach extends its warmest welcome to all visitors who wish to relax amidst the waving palms and balmy breezes of a truly memorable ocean resort.
Katha is 12 hours by rail north of Mandalay through the railroad junction town of Naba which is 23 km (14 mi) to the west of Katha. A small branch of railway runs east from Naba to Katha. Katha can also be reached by ferries that run on the Ayeyarwaddy River between the upstream town of Bhamo down to Mandalay. There is also direct bus service from Mandalay to Katha, but it is a bumpy ride.
In 1926 and 1927 , Katha was briefly home to British colonial police officer , Eric Blair ( known by his pen name , George Orwell ).
Tourist attraction sites in Katha are George Orwell’s house , Deputy Commissioner’s Home , Fire station , Kan Thar Tennis Club that is constructed in 1923 , St. Paul’s Anglican Church , Government Anglo Vernacular High Scholl ( 1925 ) , British club & Nat Pauk Elephant Camp.
Although Orwell modified the plan of the town a little, it’s possible to seek out several of the colonial buildings that played a part either in the novel or in Orwell’s life in the town.